Why James Wilby should be Sebastian Moran:
1. The obvious Rupert Graves/James Wilby reunion. All us Maurice fangirls can squee ourselves into aneurysms if they’re ever on screen together.
2. Moriarty is short, dark haired, manic and unpredictable. James Wilby would be his complete opposite. He’s tall, blonder than the sun and very specific and deliberate in his actions. He’d be a fascinating offset to Moriarty’s craziness.
3. He’s actually the age Moran is in the book. Moran was born in 1840, the books take place in the 1890’s. Wilby’s in his early 50’s. Casting a young pretty boy would be typical, let’s get someone a little closer to the actual character.
4. He doesn’t look like a killer. If Hannibal Lecter taught us anything, people like being thrown off by stereotype breaking characters. James Wilby is blonde and pale and refined and borderline fey, seeing him handle a sniper rifle would be a great image.
5. The man can actually act. We all know he can do innocent and sweet, and do it well, but check out Gosford Park and you’ll see he can play a downright nasty bastard too. He’s talented and would more than hold his own against the rest of the cast.
6. The guy needs good work. I’m sorry but dammit the poor guy has not been doing the best work lately. He’s completely worthy of such a high profile show and such a juicy role.
7. Did I mention he and Rupert Graves would be working together again?
Aw, yessss. He was great in Clapham Junction, too.
I’M SORRY, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO ACTUALLY LIKES IAN HALLARD AS SEBASTIAN???
Dude, calm down, they’re not actually casting Wilby, like your own fancast all you want.
Indeed. to-be-or-not-221b: Did you know that Ian Hallard was completely thrilled when he and Mark got to meet Wilby? He tweeted about it. Does that help?